The NBA (National Basketball Association) is one of the most imposing sporting leagues in the world. The highly regarded NBA league is now 70 years old.
Surprising Facts about National Basketball Association
- One Player Averaged a Triple Double But Never Got MVP
- Most Former Players Are Flat Broke Within Five Years Of Retirement
- For some reason, over half of the NBA’s ex-players (60%) are flat broke.They bankrupt after only five years out of the league.
- Oscar Robertson remains the only player to average a triple-double over the course of an entire season. e never Most Valuable Player award
- The National Basketball League and Basketball Association of America (BAA) merged in 1948-49 to form National Basketball Association.
- The now invalid American Basketball Association (ABA) and its players invented the alley-oop and other flashy skills.
- The American Basketball Association was also the first league to utilise the three-point line. In 1979-80 the National Basketball League took notice and instated the same three-point line.
- The Indiana Pacers, Denver Nuggets, San Antonio Spurs, New York Knicks all originated from the American Basketball Association.
- In a season of 1987-1988, the shortest player and the tallest player in the NBA were on the same team, and they were Manute Bol and Muggsy Bogues.
- The salary cap fluctuates pretty often in the NBA.
- Years ago, the NBA didn’t only have 2 rounds in the draft, they had as many as 10 rounds.
- Isiah Thomas was able to score 16 points in only 94 seconds against the New York Knicks during their deciding game in the 1984 playoffs.
- The lowest scoring game in the NBA was between the Fort Wayne Pistons versus the Minneapolis Lakers in 1950 with a score of 19-18.
- Robert Parish can easily be said as one of the greatest centres to have played in the game. He has won four NBA Championships – 3 with Boston Celtics and 1 with the Chicago Bulls.