Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal is given with “City of Glory” fame. Nepal is culturally so diverse that Kathmandu is also identified as the living cultural museum of the world
Let’s unveil some interesting facts about Kathmandu:
Kathmandu is the gateway to tourism in Nepal.
- In ancient times Kathmandu Valley was actually a huge lake which was surrounded by the Himalayan mountain range.
- While most parts of the neighboring countries like India and China was once under foreign rule; Kathmandu had never been ruled by foreigners.
- Kathmandu is covered with heritage monuments and other places of scenic beauty.
- Pashupatinath Temple is one of the most famous and sacred Hindu temples located in Kathmandu.
- Kathmandu Valley is popular with tourists for its unique culture and architecture; including the highest number of Jatras in Nepal.
- It was once named Kantipur which meant City of Glory
- Kathmandu Valley consists of the three ancient cities – Kathmandu, Patan, and Bhaktapur.
- Religious and cultural festivities form a major part of the lives and cultures of people residing in the valley.
- The local people in Kathmandu sometimes call the city as a tri city or KTM. It is considered as the informal names for Kathmandu.
- The name Kathmandu in the city was derived from the name of a temple located in Durbar Square. It is Kasthamandap temple.
- Chabahil is known to be as one of the most important place in Kathmandu Valley. Nepal is famous for Licchavi stupa which is known as Charumati Vihara. According to the inscriptions found in stupa, the famous Indian Princess Charumati was the one who built the stupa.
- Kathmandu is one of the capitals around the world with the slowest internet speed at 256 kbps. Many ISPs have been trying to improve the speeds but the geography of the city is a major hindrance.